FIVE DAYS, FIVE NIGHTS
Sunday - Friday
+ option to extend
Arrive Sunday night in agricultural community near Salcedo, about an hour and 45 minutes south of Quito. The community grows organic fruits and vegetables and produces yogurt and cheese from milk collected every morning by residents of the community who own cows. High up in the pristine mountain paramo, sheep herders fleece sheep and grow grains, which they beat with a stick before separating the edible part from the chaff.
Monday, through Friday:
(Click here to download Full Itinerary (PDF)
- Wake up early
- Milk cows
- Hands-on activity, side-by-side with a farmer:
- feeding guinea pigs and rabbits
- making cheese
- bottling yogurt
- planting and harvesting
- fleecing sheep
- gathering wild mushrooms
- bunching roses
- killing and cooking guinea pigs.
- Lunch: sometimes cooked for you, sometimes you cook food you have gathered using local recipes
- Afternoon activity until about 4:30 pm:
- Community representatives, accompanied by a bilingual guide, will explain about "mingas", natural medicine plants, community business associations, and more...
- On two days, you will tutor English to kids/adults a local community center
- Evening barbecue/dinner with food that you harvested that day
- Hang out, give feedback on the day, sleep
If you like the community, you may arrange stay as a longer-term volunteer
working on projects that interest both you and the community.
Fee: $320 to cover food, lodging, activities, bilingual (English-Spanish) guide, transportation, nature excursions and optional Spanish lessons.
Sunday - Friday every week.
, Community Coordinator
, Community Guide